The mission of Bangladesh Institute of Legal Development (BiLD) is to achieve excellence in legal education, research, publication, aid and consultancy. The Institute aspires to work on development of various legal issues by publishing books, journals, magazines, law reports, digests, etc., by arranging conference, workshop, law olympiad, mock trial & moot court, model court of justice, etc., by performing several doctrinal & social research etc. with a high level of accomplishment and a commitment to the highest ideals of the legal profession.
As an independent legal research institute, the institute is committed to a healthy and respectful environment of free intellectual inquiry and exchange, and the protection of freedom of thought.
Aims & Objects
The main object of Bangladesh Institute of Legal Development will be promoting and conducting legal research. The other objects for which the Institute is established are:
- To cultivate the science of law, promote advanced studies and research in law and its administration, reform of administration of justice and of law along with its healthy development suitable to the social, economic, political and other needs of the people.
- To promote the clarification, simplification and systematization of law, encourage and conduct investigations in legal and allied fields.
- To promote the diffusion of the knowledge of law and its administration and principles on which they are based, promote the improvement of legal education, and to impart instruction in law and allied fields.
- To conduct legal and institutional studies for enabling the country to effectively utilize its existing legal resources and develop strategies and progressive concepts appropriate to national and regional needs.
- To perform the work of charity for the advancement of legal education, research and analyses.
- To develop and maintain documentation facilities, research and informative materials, publication of books, journals (including BiLD Law Journal), treatises, periodicals, reports, newsletters and other literature relating to law and allied fields.
- To co-operate with other societies, institutions and organizations, national and international, in the pursuit of all or any of the above objects.
- To render formal, informal, structural and non-structural legal training and assistance to various groups at various levels, and to organize appropriate courses, and to assist other institutions to develop academic and training curricula on the subject.
- To institute and maintain libraries.
- To institute world class universities including a specialized law university in Bangladesh.
- To organize and take active part in seminars, workshops, symposium, training course, lectures etc. at national and international levels.
- To develop network and cooperation with similar national, regional and international bodies and undertake exchange or visit programmes, study tours and participate in such activities.
- To invite, appoint, engage scholars, experts, and researchers for the furtherance of the aims and objectives of the Society and to undertake such protocols with other institutions.
- To arrange discussions or round table meetings with scholars of our country, to discuss about the flows and merits of laws passed by parliament.
- To arrange seminar and workshop programs for increasing awareness among the general public both rural and urban area.
- To issue appeals and application for money funds and other relevant assistance and to accept awards, gifts, grants, donations, lawful subscriptions of cash or securities and of any movable or immovable property for the promotion of aims and objectives of the Institute.
- To acquire, purchase or otherwise own or take on lease or hire, temporarily or permanently, any movable or immovable property, necessary or convenient for the promotion of the objectives and to make necessary alternation or improvements of such properties.
- To pay from the funds of the Institute or any particular part of such funds, all expenses or incidents to the formation and management of the Institute or of administrating any special trust or otherwise carrying out of any of the foregoing objectives including the payment of salaries to persons employed or engaged in the services of the Institute.
- To institute, conduct, defend or compromise legal proceedings by or against the Institute or its branches or its office bearers in respect of matters affecting the Institute.
- To make rules, regulations or bye-laws not inconsistent with law nor with the foregoing objectives for the administration of the Institute and all its institutions.
- Without prejudice to the generality of the above and for the effective carrying out of the above objects, the Institute have the power to acquire, receive and hold property of any kind including securities and negotiable instruments, to construct and maintain building including the right to alter or improve them and to equip them suitable, to manage, sell, transfer, or otherwise dispose of or deal with property of any kind belonging to the Institute, to enter into contracts for and in connection with any of the purposes of the Institute, to raise monies and funds in such manner as may be deemed fit for and on behalf of the Institute, to establish a provident fund for the benefit of the employees.
- To constitute or cause to be constituted regional offices at convenient centers in Bangladesh or abroad for promoting the activities of the Institute.
- To do all such things and to perform all such acts as may be necessary or proper for the achievement of any or all of the above objects.